Monday, April 14, 2008

Summer

New steelpan noodling.

Summer

One of my favorite things to do when playing pan solo is to run up and down giant chords, as you can hear in this recording. The tonality is ambiguous; rather than use the diminished chord that normally occurs in major/minor keys, the chords here tend to escape into foreign areas of the circle of fifths. There's a sense of alternate major-minor-ness going on into infinity. The occasional emphasis of the Lydian #4 tonality adds further mystery.

For some reason, the images that came into my mind while I was editing this noodle were of hot summer days outside in the sun when I was young. A feeling of innocence and passing time.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I liked this one. I think you named it pretty well. I reminds me of being on vacation or Chrono Cross or something.

david hollowell said...

Thanks. Chrono Cross had a wonderful atmosphere to it so I'm happy with that comparison.