Sunday, April 6, 2008

Phrygdom

Another of my musical experiments is online. More steelpan improvisation.

Phrygdom

This time, I've applied an effect that makes it sound kind of like a weird keyboard... If you played a keyboard with sticks. I like it. I need to figure out how to apply the effect in real time so I can run it through an amp and hear it as I play. It'd be a cool stunt to bring out during gigs, and it might blend with other instruments better.

The scale this time is phrygian dominant, which is heard in flamenco, klezmer, and Indian and Middle Eastern music. It's one of the most dramatic scales, as it has the dark, bold energy of the minor key dominant chord but without ever falling back to the subdued minor tonic.

My plan with these recordings is to keep doing them until I have roughly an album's worth. Since they're improvised, it's not going to be my best work, but the point is to make myself learn more about recording in Logic by doing it. I have some more electronic compositions that are nearly ready to post, too.

Archive.org derives a variety of formats for the files I post, but in the process the ID3 tags are lost, so download the 160kbps MP3. That's the format I upload it in.

No comments: