Thursday, June 12, 2008

Voice of Wind

For the past week or so I've been wrestling with editing an aimless 15 minute improv down to a reasonably sized collage of the best parts. Eventually I realized that I was trying very hard to turn a spontaneous event into a composition, and that perhaps this was foolish, or at least more trouble than it was worth. So I gave up on that and slapped together something new in just the past few hours.

Voice of Wind

It's three pan instruments playing in distinct ranges and each in a different pentatonic scale(adjacent on the circle of fifths). The result is more of an unchanging soundscape than my solo recordings, although paradoxically it took more planning and arrangement.

Accompanying it is a bonus track of the same piece distorted in amusing ways.

No comments: